Friday, May 20, 2011

Some of my past beauties :)

I am slowly transferring my projects over from my digital scrapbooking blog... I would like to keep the two entities separate :)

Some of you that know me, will know that I have a huge thread of thrift running through my veins... yet, I always get comments like "your kids are so well dressed" and "you must spend a fortune on clothes!". The answers to those questions are yes and no. In that order. While going through my youngest, Cole's dresser this weekend, I came to the realization that he has 42 pairs of jeans and pants that currently fit him, with a few more hand me downs on the top shelf of his closet waiting to grow into. FOURTY TWO! The vast majority are GAP and Old Navy, since I love the adjustable waistbands and those clothes just last through anything. Throw in there a spattering of Hurley, Quiksilver and Billabong, and you have the makings of a nice wardrobe! Yet, maybe only about 5-10% I buy new... I buy them all in "like new" condition, but very little of them come new. Even those that do, I find on discount by at least 70% or I don't buy them. The boys' closets are jam-packed with shirts hanging up.. a double closet each worth of shirts... Abercrombie, Hurley, Point Zero, Billabong, DC.... you name it. They're getting to that age (especially Blake, who's 12), where clothes are starting to matter. I'm not one for brand names, I never grew up that way, but if I can get them cheap, why not?!
Anyways, where I was going with this..... they have so many clothes that the closet system wasn't holding it all in an organized manner. I knew Blake needed a proper dresser but I couldn't afford to pay a lot. Enter a fantastic roadside yard sale one afternoon and I came across this beauty (and his twin sister, a longer, shorter dresser)


Okay, so apparently I need to learn how to rotate my pictures ;) And maybe it's not a BEAUTY, but it was $45 for this and the matching one I previously mentioned. They are solid wood and made in Canada, how could I resist. They were beat up, scraped and perfect! I paid the elderly gentlemen and he kindly delivered up the road to my house! (this is when being eco-conscious and having a hybrid instead of a pick-up can be frustrating... lol). Anyways, here is the transformation... a deep red, antique glazed perfectly functional, thrifty dresser that Blake is now enjoying in his room :)


And here is his twin sister, I went beachy on this one, and she was snatched up on CraigsList in 20 minutes!!

I already had the paint and supplies, so really, it only cost me the $22.50 for each dresser..... not bad, eh!?

2 comments:

  1. Nice! how come you didn't keep the second dresser? it's so lovely? i would much rather refinish solid wood than buy particle board crap too... good for you and great work!

    [ j ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I totally love the second dresses... No wonder it got snatched up soon... !! Love your bird cage..!!

    ReplyDelete